What exactly does a "Brand Consultant" do? Is it just me or do the job titles get more vague every year? Simon is apparently an "Internet Entrepreneur". Does that mean that he's started the next Google or does it just mean he's sold some old tat on eBay for a minor profit? Still, it's not quite as bad (or honest!) as poor old Rory. His job title is "Bankrupt entrepreneur". An oxymoron if ever I heard one. Still, one thing is for sure. Whatever job title they came into the house with, the one they all want when they leave is the same. And it's NOT "The Apprentice".
Just after "The Apprentice - You're Fired" had finished on BBC2, if you'd started channel hopping, you'd have come across a show on Sky One called "Badger or Bust". It's a familiar format (think Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares but without the charm), where Ruth Badger is tasked with turning round failing businesses, although frankly you don't need to be a Harvard MBA to realise why the businesses featured are struggling.
The reason I mention it is that it is clear that the real title all the candidates want when they leave is "Media Personality". The Apprentice is the best reality show on TV, no doubt, but ultimately the motivation is the same as any other - to get your own show. And frankly - good luck to them. It happened for Saira Khan (apparently she has her own show on Children's BBC), it happened for the posh bloke on the first series who got his own radio show and it has happened in a big way for The Badger. In fact, now that I think about it, I could have sworn I saw the incomparable Syed from Series 2 on some reality TV Circus show. That shows the depths to which they'll go.
It'll be interesting to see which of this year's motley crew will be appearing on an obscure cable channel in a year's time. Will we see Simon fronting The Rap Show on MTV Base? Or Katie fronting The Racing Channel? (Or should that be participating?)
My money's on Tre, even though he has a face for radio. This guy is the most entertaining person on this year's show. I'm even shocked to see that in between being this year's pantomime villain, he actually comes out with some real pearls of wisdom. Should I be afraid that I am beginning to warm to this guy?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Credit where credit is due. If I told my mates I was now a "Brand Consultant" they would nod and say he's made it big! Internet Entrepreneur - well ever since I've ebay-ed my ping pong bat and ratty old tie I can safely say I qualify for the title. Its codswallop and this bunch really let the true "Brand Consultants" and Internet Entrepreneurs down.
I cannot agree with you more. Media Personality here I come but be warned. I seriously think The Apprentice can damage your career. Surely you would think but no. Every contestant has gone onto becoming a "consultant who can add value to your business".
Ask yourself this. Would you employ Syed from series 2 as lynchpin of your business? The man himself, cool "Tim", the original apprentice this side of the atlantic has since left and is on the speaking circuit. Watch your screens because I can see a trend happening and he will be back on TV soon. Mark my words and it will probably be as a dragon on "Dragons Den". Oh my days why did I think of the show which is in someway the cousin to the Apprentice. I witnessed "how to boil an egg", crikey! what is innovation coming to?
Now back to The Apprentice and Tre. Are you warming to him? For me, it’s a no brainer. I want to cringe when the winner is announced as it will be the rud-boy-a-massive-cambridge-grad, Simon. Believe me I have had to turn away when this guy release his inner "street self". But hey, this is The Apprentice!
Post a Comment